Re: Translation project of Páez (Nasa Yuwe)

tor 2004-10-21 klockan 18.22 skrev santiago j ruano rincon:
> At last, we got some lights to start the process of translating gnome to
> Páez. But we have not resolved the problem of the ISO language code
>
> For some reasons, is dificult to request in this moment for a new ISO 639
> language code for Páez. The indians are jealous with their documents, and
> we prefer to make the request once the translation has started and show
> some results. So, we can see two options:
>
> - - to start with the "sai" code as it was proposed in [1], or
> - - to start with some of the codes for local use[2], qaa-qtz
>
> and once we have the new code, to change the translation to this.
>
> We prefer the first one, but what option do you recommend us? and is it
> posible to do that?

To later switch language codes once you use it in CVS is non-trivial.
You would have to rename files and configurations all over the place.

So while I'm not exactly sure what the problem is in requesting a new
language code, I would recommend to try to do that first if at all
possible. My experience from the few languages having to change language
codes is that it is a very problematic procedure; the use of language
codes very much assumes that they will be permanent.

If you want to use temporary codes so that you can start translating, I
guess that is fine, but we most likely cannot¹ and should not put such
language codes and translations using them into GNOME CVS.

Christian

¹ http://www.loc.gov/standards/iso639-2/faq.html#26 says that the codes
qaa-qtz reserved for local use should not be used internationally.