Re: Translation tools for documentation

Today at 14:51, Funda Wang wrote:

> Danilo> For Gnome 2.8, xml2po will probably be a build requirement for CVS
> Danilo> builds of Gnome (tarballs will have pregenerated translated
> Danilo> documentation).
> It would be great and helpful maintaining a regular scripty(like kdecvs)
> which will extract xml into po and vice versa.

That's the plan, and xml2po is currently designed to be very similar
to intltool.  The build part is yet to be decided on, and I hope to
have that resolved (at least in theory :), by the end of next week.

Once that is done, getting documentation into status pages should be
trivial (actually, it's already trivial to write a script
xml2po-update with syntax like intltool-update, which would read
POTFILES.in, and produce a POT or update PO file).  So, status pages
will be our "regular" extractor of strings from XML into PO files (at
least that's how I imagine it).

The reverse (from PO files to XML) would be done during module
building (unlike KDE), which means that we will require less work
from translators, and have a better result at the same time :)

Cheers,
Danilo