Re: Re: Albanian and Turkmen Teams

Op wo 03-03-2004, om 01:51 schreef Ghorban Mohamad Tavakkoli:
> salam
>
> > I don't see anything wrong with them selling
> > translated Gnome, if they follow all the licences
> > of the software included with Gnome (basically, if
> > they follow GPL terms for all of Gnome, no problem
> > there; some parts may be available under "looser"
> > licences).
>
> turkmen nation is generally poor nation. [i am one
> of this nation and i sea all things about them].
> then we start a group to developing and translationg
> free softwares [gonme & OpenOffice & Mozilla & TeX]
> for them [and us]. then i think selling free softwares
> with some fee is not a good idea in this nation.
> most of them can't pay any money for buying a
> computer.
> a few turkmens can buy a medium computer with monthes
> abd years of work. then if they want to buy softwares
> what happened? really the can't.

If the licenses are respected, this is a free system (including the
translation), which means that anybody may distribute it, change it,
distribute changes, sell it, but not change the license to limit any of
these rights for other people for any kind of use. So if the company
helps with the translation, the result may be used and distributed by
anyone for any purpose. When people don't want to buy it directly from
the company, they can freely download it from the Gnome website or use
the translation included with a distribution (all GTP translations will
come with most GNU/Linux distributions).

Selling free software doesn't limit people who don't want to buy,
because distribution of free software can't be limited: those people can
get the software legally from other places.

[snip]
> we are work in turkmen GNOME team only for making
> a free system for our citizens.

I hope you mean free as in freedom, because that's what sets this system
apart. Of course it's also important that people don't have to pay to
use it, but that's a result of the freedom.

> there are peoples [most of them are students] work
> with unregistered win 3.1, amiga 500 and COMMODORE 64.
> are you belive that?
> we must work for them and we do.

It's very good that you're working on changing that. For me, the most
important reason is to make free software in general more attractive and
usable for people here who have a hard(er) time using an English system,
and to spread freedom.

Kind regards,
Elros

--
Elros Cyriatan
89D0A011957D96020E7D1D16B37D496E440D660A

Dit berichtdeel is digitaal ondertekend