Re: Localisation Guide

   Hello!

Now that I'm finishing my revisions of DEV_LIBS and DESKTOP modules, I
created my first compendium and tested it on the Dasher module. I do think
that compendiuns can help a lot to generate good quality translations, with
uniformizing the translation terms and saving time to the translators as at
least some strings don't have to be translated again and again.

I went looking for info on compendium and only found a reference to it on
the 5.2 section. The mention was telling that it is possible to create but
it didn't talk much more about it.

I think that would help to have there an explanation of what is a
compendium, how to generate it (see my 1-line script below) and how to use
it. Also that as many more po files are used for the compendium generation,
the most likely new pot's will be filled.

My update_comp.sh script goes like this
msgcat --use-first -o compendium-pt_`date +%C%y%m%d`.po `ls -1 POS/*.po`
I have all the Portuguese po files inside the POS/ directory.

A single line command or using the compendium is also better
msgmerge --compendium compendium-pt_20040105.po -o file.po /dev/null
file.pot

What do you think? Is there any problem on using compendiuns for non-latin
scripts? I know that this is mostly a *NIX functionality, but better those
translators know then none knowing just because it doesn't work in Windows
and some may be translating from Windows (by the way... maybe Cygwin... ;)

Be Happy!

Duarte "HappyGuy" Loreto

"Don't worry, be happy!"