Re: New external dependecy request (ICU)

Hello,

> In Mono we are planning on replacing the dependency on LibICU, as it is
> a huge library to link against, a big dependency for the time being, and
> it is not easy to partition.

OK, I see. I also had a quick look at LibICU and it seems to overlap
some of the GNOME technologies as well.

> We are currently moving to produce our own tables from the ICU data

Own tables? Why not use the Common XML Locale files? Any particular
reason? Could the GNOME project reuse your tables, creating our own
little library?

> though, so it would only be a maintainer dependency, not a deployment
> dependency for us.

I see.

Thanks for your briefing

Kenneth.