Re: [Fwd: Re: New string in gnome-control-center]

>Could you be a bit more specific than "anyone that has been using X for
>a while"? Under what circumstances will a .xmodmap file get created?
>Am I right in thinking that the problem only arises if a .xmodmap file
>exists?

Yes you are right. The file appears in 3 situations:
1. User created it himself. He knows about xmodmap and uses some
particular keyboard tweaks
2. Someone created the file for user. Fellow hacker or someone else.
Because user asked for some tweaks but could not make them himself.
3. (???) OS created this file for user during adduser processing. Never
encountered such a situation but people say it happens sometimes.

>Basically, I would like to know how prevalent the situation is likely to
>be, and for which types of users it is likely to occur. If it's a small
>proportion of technical users, I'm inclined to reject this change.

Mostly I am thinking about #1 and #2.

>In my opinion, iff a reasonably techincal person upgrades to GNOME 2.6
>and their xmodmap configuration isn't working, one of the first things
>they'll do is check .xsession-errors.

About .xsession-errors file. I just checked - gnome-settings-daemon has
both stderr and stdout pointing to /dev/null. Why are you folks
constantly talking about .xsession-errors?

Cheers,

Sergey