Re: New string in gnome-control-center

fre 2004-02-27 klockan 05.17 skrev Jody Goldberg:
> I'll disagree here.  This is a problem that will bite anyone that
> has been using X for a while.  The most common use case I've seen is
> people that have ctrl and caps lock swapped.  They log into their
> shiney new gnome and _poof_ their long standing changes don't work
> anymore.  They are not necessarilly technical, xkb is quite new and
> not well used.
>
> We didn't fix this before because we were looking for a less brutal
> hack.  That failed and we're stuck with ignoring things.  The user
> must be warned.  This is another situation where I'd rather see an
> untranslated string in front of the user, than no string, or even a
> message to stderr.
>
> We can't ship 2.6.0 with a settings daemon that silently ignores a
> user's configuration that has worked for a few years.

What I'm most reluctant to now is adding another big translated message
this late in the string freeze. As this should hopefully be a fairly
uncommon error message, having it still be untranslated in 2.6.0 seems
reasonable. We can have another look again at it after 2.6.0, and decide
whether we should add it then.

But whether it should be a stderr message or a GUI error dialog is
another question, a question that I should probably stay out of. It's up
to you.

Christian

PS. Please leave the release-team cc:ed on these matters. DS.