Re: Evolution 2.0 and GNOME 2.6

JP Rosevear wrote:
>>When we first thought that evolution 2.0 might not be ready in time, the
>>release-team considered this. But I think we decided that
>>1. API should not be in the Desktop if no Desktop module uses it.
>
> Well I believe the panel applet can use it.

Yes, the clock applet can use it.

> The Evolution team agrees.  The above points and Miloslav's point about
> e-d-s and Evolution 1.4 not working in harmony (which will be the
> obvious choice of distros shipping Evolution) makes it fairly obvious
> the e-d-s release isn't a good fit in GNOME 2.6, so we'll withdraw that
> part of the proposal.

Hmm, that is a bit annoying.  Some volunteers (not paid to work on
GNOME) have spent a good deal of time working on integrating this with
the desktop for 2.6.

Most of the same arguments that have been made in the evolution
translation thread could be made here: the work isn't lost, just
delayed, if it isn't ready then it shouldn't go in, etc.  However, a
little better communication might help.  Personally, I would have spent
my time much differently if I had any idea e-d-s would be withdrawn.

Perhaps, in the future, a new module can only be proposed/accepted for
inclusion in the Desktop if it is *already* in an acceptable state.
That way "being ready" or "not being ready" at the last minute is no
longer an issue.

Jon