Re: RFC: Source string editing

On Mon, 2004-12-06 at 15:48, Adam Weinberger wrote:

[good supporting arguments snipped]

> I'd be interested in seeing how many module maintainers would like to
> give blanket approval to the GTP to edit strings to fix spelling and
> simple grammar errors. Presence of a README.strings or something to that
> effect could mean a green-light to the GTP to fix small errors as they
> crop up.
>
> Doing so would better utilize the resources that the GTP can provide,
> would take some of the burden of development off of module maintainers,
> and would help GNOME put its best foot forward (GET IT?!).
>
> I'm interested in what others think of this concept. Is this a good
> idea? Would developers likely be interested in this?

I had a misspelled word in Yelp that managed to rear its ugly head four
times.  The word was in two files and on two branches.  Every time I
thought I'd fixed it, I'd have another bug report from translators about
it.  For simple fixes, it would certainly be nice for translators just
to make the fix.

But, I also had a bug report from a translator suggesting 'Set Index'
might be a typo for 'See Index'.  Clearly, I didn't comment that string
well enough (or, I think, at all), but this does show that there's some
potential for this process to go awry.

I'd be willing to give GTP blanket string fixing permission, but with
the provision that I be emailed each time translators change a string.
That gives me a chance to review the change quickly.

--
Shaun