Re: gnome-background-properties i18n support

Hi Thomas,

Today at 14:24, Thomas Wood wrote:

> I recently made a patch for gnome-background-properties to allow it to
> correctly load i18n data from XML files, and use the current locale.
>
> This all works fine, with the exception that when data is loaded from
> the system XML files (which describes all the pre-installed
> backgrounds), only the current locale is copied to the user's home
> directory. This isn't a problem unless you change locale sometime after
> you've loaded the system XML file. Implementing copying all the locale
> information to the users home directory would require a lot more work to
> gnome-background-properties. Also, as pointed out by dobey, the name
> data could possibly be user edited, so should it really be changed by
> the system when the user changes locale?

Nope, once installed translations should stay as they are.  This is not
perfect, but we can't make it any better without complicating too much
(i.e. in some cases replace those translations, in others don't).

> Otherwise, there may still be no i18n support in gnome-background-
> properties when 2.10 is released, which would mean the i18n work on the
> gnome-backgrounds module would be completely wasted, as it would have to
> be removed from the final build.

I'm not sure what you're saying here?  What work would be wasted, and
why?  Are you talking about patches (i.e. work on code), or
translations?

If you're talking about translations, that shouldn't bother you: it's
up to translators to choose what to translate, and if
gnome-background-properties includes support for making use of those
translations (even though if they aren't installed by default in
Gnome), that's all right (we can just ask people to install
gnome-backgrounds separately).

Cheers,
Danilo