Re: default theme consensus

On Tue, 2004-17-08 at 18:31 -0700, Link Dupont wrote:
> On Tue, 2004-08-17 at 16:18 +0100, Calum Benson wrote:
> > On Tue, 2004-08-17 at 05:20, Link Dupont wrote:
> > > So, what's the default? Glider or Indubstrial? Who makes the final
> > > decision? Calum, because he's the gnome-themes maintainer?
> >
> > I hope not... dunno if I could handle the pressure :)  The default theme
> > is determined by libgnome anyway, so the final decision/implementation
> > isn't really dependent on anything that's going on in gnome-themes
> > (other than the chosen theme actually being installed, of course).
>
> Well, what's the deadline for making the decision? We can see how long
> we have for dawdling that way. -Link

If you'll recall, the first thing I said was that *someone* had to step
up and make the call. Seems no one is...

Ok lets see if we can use the following as "The Decision"

1. "Indubstrial" becomes "Oasis" since it kind or reminds me of a
resort's swimming pool (or whatever). A little googlage says no one
obvious has such a theme name.

2. Despite the fact that others have mentioned that there are some
outstanding bugs with both themes, I am going to invoke the "progress"
argument and say we should press on with a newer theme, then resolve the
bugs once there is more testing and pressure to fix. We also recognize
that most distros will not use the default anyways, so defaults will
probably only affect the Doc screen shots (the original text said
"screen shits", Freudian?) anyways.

Therefore I move that simple should be replaced.

3. Although people (including myself) seem to like Industrial better as
a visual preference, I think Link's active participation in HIG issues,
this discussion, and in resolving bugs, gives Glider a decisive
advantage. Glider's stated goal of HIG compliance makes it more coherent
when reading the Documentation (arguably the only place where our
default counts!)

Therefore I move that simple should be replaced with Glider.

Anyone want to follow my lead and make the above happen? Or give me
access to change the right lines?

Cheers,
Ryan