Re: Why do maintainers "sync" po files in cvs?

We need to commit these files if we are going to tag for releases. It
seems kind of silly to have the tag for a release be different from the
tarball. What if there is some problem and you need to go back and look
at the translations on that tag, and branch from there to do a sub-
release? Things can get out of whack easily.

Similar things often happen when developers have code lying around in
their trees and someone else commits conflicting code. I don't see this
is a real problem. CVS conflicts are painful for anyone that has to deal
with them. There is no real way around it, unless you are the only one
committing to a project. But that's less efficient.

Keeping CVS in sync seems like a better tradeoff than having it not be
because one person keeps uncommitted translations lying around in a
tree. Especially if source files get added or removed. During string
freeze, this should be much less of an issue, and during code freeze, it
should be a non-issue, since the amount of code changing, shouldn't
drastically affect the position of the strings in the source.

I've also been pondering how best to write code so that intltool will
keep POTFILES.in and such, up to date, when new files are added or
removed.

-- dobey