Program version numbers and .mo files

Hello,
  I am puzzled about something. I have been trying to
test some of our translations under CVS Gnome
downloaded and built with jhbuild. The install
directory is /opt/gtk2 and I have been putting .mo
files in /opt/gtk2/share/locale/or_IN/LC_MESSAGES
Things seem to work, except that some programs
appear to need an explicit version number for the
.mo file, e.g., gedit works when the file is named
gedit-2.6.mo, but not if it is gedit.mo. Why is that?
More importantly, how do I find out what is the
correct version number? Will the value from
"program --version" always work?

Regards,
Gora