Re: Evolution and support for rtl languages

On Fri, 2004-04-23 at 01:32, Arafat Medini wrote:
> To credit everyone and to be as honest as possible:
>
> 1)did I report a bug? Yep I did, and I also discussed this issue several
> times on irc.
>
> what is a pointer? if you mean the bug id then here it is: 56693
>
> 2) ok this I didn't do it. Simply I hadn't the idea. So I'll cc the
> whole to the other lists.
>
> but one point I want to say, the statement in the irc was very
> unprofessional:"because no hackers use ar locale this is not high
> priority" how unlogic are these ppl?!

I think that was probably a misunderstanding.

>  Especially for gnome making pub
> thatit has support for other languages,etc etc... you know all the
> stuff...
>
> I'll try what is needed. And I am really happy that you see #why# this
> thing is important. rtl is not a gimmick, for a user using rtl languages
> the app is simply unusable it is as if you were shipping screwed apps!

I think everyone wants RTL to work properly everywhere because it
affects a big part of the world. It _is_ a good idea to make a fuss
about it if you don't think people understand that there are problems.

However, _I_ think we are unlikely to reject an module from the GNOME
Desktop because of something important that is not done _yet_. We would
reject a module if something important can not be fixed _ever_. That's
an unofficial guideline that the release-team follows.

For instance, epiphany had (and maybe still has) bad support for
accessibility. But it was accepted because we know it can be done
sometime - we are time-based, not feature-based.

Another example: New modules are often not fully translated, or don't
mark their strings for translation, but we don't reject them because of
that, because it can be fixed.

Of course if module needs lots of work in lots of areas then it wouldn't
meet our minimum quality requirements. There is sometimes disagreement
about what those minimum requirements are.

--
Murray Cumming
www.murrayc.com