Re: translating clock.schemas.in in gnome-panel

Hi,

On Mon, 2004-04-05 at 18:02, Åsmund Skjæveland wrote:
> > 	Basically, we allow translators to change the default clock format to
> > either 12 or 24 hour format. In 2.6, the new clock_format key is used
> > for this rather than the hour_format key. The key can have either
> > "24-hour" or "12-hour" as its value.
> >
> > 	Unfortunately, most translators didn't realize this and translated the
> > "hour" part into their native language and the clock applet can't handle
> > these values.
>
> I don't fully understand your change as you describe it. (Please also
> explain your code to us. I don't think I'm the only one here that
> doesn't speak regex like a native.) But if I understand the CVS log
> correctly, you've fixed the offending string in the PO files?

	Basically, this string is marked for translation to allow translators
specify whether the default clock format should be in 12 or 24 hour
format.

	Because the clock applet only understands the values "12-hour" or
"24-hour", translators shouldn't actually translate the string into
their native language but should specify either "12-hour" or "24-hour".

	The script I showed basically goes through all the .po files and looks
for the line:

	msgid "24-hour"

	and then replaces the line after that with 'msgstr "12-hour"' or
'msgstr "24-hour"' depending on how the translator had translated the
string.

	All the .po files should be fixed, but translators should be aware that
this string should not actually be translated to anything but "12-hour"
or "24-hour".

Thanks,
Mark.