Re: Translation of program names

Kaixo!

On Thu, Oct 30, 2003 at 05:52:00PM -0300, Mariano Suarez-Alvarez wrote:

> On Thu, 2003-10-30 at 15:48, Christian Rose wrote:
>
> > To sum my points up:
> > 1) Translate descriptive names.
> > 2) Do *not* translate branding names.

There is one blatant case where the 2nd point is not followed: pango!
The name of pango is not "pango" in latin letters; but the four characters:

There is also the case of (La)TeX, where "TeX" is not the latin letters "T",
"e", "X", but the greek letters tau, epsilon, khi.

But who actually write those two names the "proper" way when writting in
English (or any other latin script language)?

You can also look at wikipedia, a project of creating free encyclopedias
in all languages.
Well, depending on each language uses and common practice, some of them
"translated" the name "Wikipedia", some others did not.
Look in particular at:
http://meta.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia_raster_name
with shows the name "wikipedia" written differently in different languages.

--
Ki ça vos våye bén,
Pablo Saratxaga

http://chanae.walon.org/pablo/		PGP Key available, key ID: 0xD9B85466
[you can write me in Walloon, Spanish, French, English, Italian or Portuguese]

PGP signature