Re: PO-based Documentation Translation

Hi,

Tim Foster wrote:
> In terms of saving time and money, sentence segmentation is fantastic
> and works for us.

just thinking out loud: does fine granularity segmentation have to
be reflected in the file format (po/xliff), to be put to use?

Couldn't that part just as well take place in
msgmerge/pretranslation and inline DB/compendia queries during the
translation process?

I can see that reflecting segmentation et al. when one translator
gets to continue somebody elses work makes sense, and possibly in
some other situations, but are those situations relevant here (I
don't know)?

What I think might enhance productivity and QA, would be increased
use of hirarchically marking up terminology (in DB's and compendia),
and increased use of (clever) assembling of the portions where match
differences were found. And perhaps a more verbose or precise usage
of "fuzzy". This is IMHO and experience where fine granularity is
put to its best use.

There's probably some good reason for having segmentation reflected
in the files, so can you please elaborate on it Tim? Tool
compatibility/portability?

BTW: I know Trados has a large commercial market segment, but IMHO
it's not a tool in particular where too much could be learnt
(granted it's been a while since I tried it and dumped it).

Heretic thought: if there are tools for it, why not let the
translator/translation team use whichever format they want?

I guess there may be elements in xliff that can be incorporated in
po, but perhaps the same holds true the other way around: I'd be
interested to see where in the xliff files you stored the context
normally found in a po file. And how is plural handling solved? Do
you have a sample (e. g. some part of a UI po + corresponding xliff)?

Other than that: is it possible not to welcome Suns editor, should
it be released? :)

BR,
Gudmund