Re: sr@Latn vs desktop files

Kaixo!

On Mon, May 19, 2003 at 04:46:24PM +0200, Christian Rose wrote:

> The alternative that was used previously in GNOME was to use a
> self-invented "language code" for Serbian with latin script; "sp".

No, it was the other way around: "sp" for cyrillic, and "sr" for latin.
Now it is "sr" for cyrillic, and "sr@Latn" for latin.
(another proposal was to use "sr" for cyrillic and "sh" (deprecated
language code for "serbocroatian") for latin)

> In that respect, using "sr@Latn" was much more appealing, and was less
> likely to break standards. However, I doubt the specific case of desktop
> key names was considered. If the desktop spec doesn't support the
> generic @ modifier, perhaps it needs to be modified to do that, or the
> use of "sr@Latn" to denote Serbian with latin script be revised.

For me it is obvious that the set of acceptable names in use for desktop
key names must be the same as acceptable for translation files used
trough gettext.
So, since the use of modifiers is and has been used (I remember of
"no@nynorsk", previous to the attribution of the "nn" code, for
example. There are also the sample "en@quote" and "en@IPA") then
desktop key names must accept them.

--
Ki ça vos våye bén,
Pablo Saratxaga

http://chanae.walon.org/pablo/		PGP Key available, key ID: 0xD9B85466
[you can write me in Walloon, Spanish, French, English, Italian or Portuguese]

PGP signature