Re: en_US.po

tor 2003-03-06 klockan 11.34 skrev Sven Neumann:
> > I've written an en_US.po for gtk+. The main differences from
> > the untranslated strings are curly quotes and hyphens and
> > stuff like that. I figure I'd better get permission before
> > committing since it's a bit unusual.
>
> I don't think it is a good idea to use quotes that are not available
> in latin1 encoding. A lot of people use locales with latin1 encoding
> and their terminals are not able to display these strings correctly.
> Since most of these messages are by default output to the console (and
> converted to the locale's encoding) it does IMO make a lot of sense to
> stay with single quotes.

I believe there is some misunderstanding here. The issue is not AFAIK
about using characters not available in latin-1, it's about using
characters not available in plain 7-bit ASCII. That's a whole different
topic, and support should not be an issue. I can't imagine a reasonably
modern setup that doesn't support the latin-1 range of characters in
fonts etc.