Spam to the mailing list

Lately, there has been an increase in spam to the gnome-i18n@gnome.org
mailing list, and I'm sure it annoys a lot of other people as much as
me. gnome-i18n is an open list (anyone can post). A lot of incoming spam
is caught in central spamassassin filters on the list server and stopped
that way before being distributed to the list, but unfortunately there
is also a lot of spam that manage to get past the filters.

Perhaps it's time to rethink the list policy. Most other gnome mailing
lists are subscribers-only, i.e. only the subscribers to that mailing
list can post messages. Messages to the list by non-subscribers are put
in an admin queue where the list administrator has to approve them
before they get sent out to the list.

In order to not have every gnome contributor's mails blocked that
doesn't happen to be a subscriber to the list in question, and to allow
people to post from multiple addresses, there's a special pseudo-list
(post-only; http://lists.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/post-only/) where
people can subscribe additional addresses they'd like to post from.
Being subscribed to post-only, you can post to all gnome.org mailing
lists, and not only to those lists you're actually subscribed to.

My suggestion is that we should make gnome-i18n subscribers-only (and of
course also allow for postings from members of post-only), in order to
prevent spam. What do other people think?