Re: Another strftime question

On Sun, 2003-12-07 at 06:40, Paisa Seeluangsawat wrote:
> Is it safe to use %E? and %O? in date/time translations?  I tried,
>
>   date +%Ey
>
> and it prints the correct locallized year on my machine.  But I"m
> don't know if it will  work in strftime and on other systems.

These should be portable. They are specified in the Single Unix
Specification (back in version 2, so they have been there for a while).
If we come across a system that does not support them for some reason,
then that system should get a special workaround, since it is arguably
broken. Defaulting to things that are specified in SUS is pretty safe,
in general.

Cheers,
Malcolm