Re: translation size

On Sun, 2002-09-15 at 17:17, John Fleck wrote:
> On Thu, 2002-09-05 at 17:45, Karl Eichwalder wrote:
> > Alexander Kirillov <kirillov@math.sunysb.edu> writes:
> >
> > > FYI: KDE (at least, in KDE 2.x) managed this problem by having "language
> > > support packages", like kde-i18n-fr, which contains all available French
> > > translations of  docs and all .mo files  for fr locale, for *all* KDE
> > > apps.
> >
> > I don't like this packaging scheme at all.  It forces me to install many
> > a lot useless file when I'm interested in one KDE application only
> > (KBabel, say).
> >

> Would you prefer a separate language-specific version of each package?
> The alternative I'm trying to avoid is including all the translated docs
> in each package, which would be a lot of useless files for each and
> every user.

May I suggest a compromise?

1. Every app package includes all .po files
2. Apps in GNOME Desktop metapackage (as defined by the release team)
only include docs in C locale. In addition, we create packages
gnome-desktop-docs-<LC> (or something like this), one per language

3. All other GNOME apps (and there are plenty of them) include their
docs in the app package.

Of course, this is confusing - but this is the best I could come up
with.

Sasha