Re: menu's appear in NLS

fre 2002-11-01 klockan 03.50 skrev w00fa:
> Hello all :P
> I've a problem...
> before I used dropline's gnome 2.0.2 installer I ran a WindowManager
> called Fluxbox (an offspring of blackbox), and I used to use an export
> line ("export LC_ALL=he_IL") in my .xinitrc line that would make hebrew
> available for reading and typing.. made my life all so easyyy! :)..
> now, I installed dropline's gnome and when I use that command the menu's
> appear in hebrew..

Sounds like it works as intended.

> apperantly it has NLS (Native Language Support) set
> on.. and that makes it autochange to hebrew.. on xchat, for example- you
> can use --disable-nls when ./configuring to cancel this option and since
> you dont really have to do alot to install dropline's gnome (only run
> the installer actually) I couldnt get a chance to use it :\.. I was
> wondering if there was a way to cancel NLS? or maybe force menus to
> appear in english? I'll be waiting on your answer! Thanks alot! /me
> bows!

Specifying LC_ALL=he_IL means that you want all different localization
aspects to use values suitable for Hebrew use in Israel. So if you use
LC_ALL=he_IL, it really means this:

LC_CTYPE="he_IL"
LC_NUMERIC="he_IL"
LC_TIME="he_IL"
LC_COLLATE="he_IL"
LC_MONETARY="he_IL"
LC_MESSAGES="he_IL"
LC_PAPER="he_IL"
LC_NAME="he_IL"
LC_ADDRESS="he_IL"
LC_TELEPHONE="he_IL"
LC_MEASUREMENT="he_IL"
LC_IDENTIFICATION="he_IL"

Among other things, if you look at the LC_MESSAGES line, it specifies
that you want messages in Hebrew. So if you also get your applications
in Hebrew, it surely works according to what you specified.

If you want applications in English, but he_IL values for the rest, you
should set en_US as the value for LC_MESSAGES, but use he_IL for the
rest. Don't set LC_ALL; it overrides all other individual values. You
can check what values you have set by running "locale" on the console.