Re: Re[4]: gnome-control-center problem

tor 2002-03-07 klockan 15.17 skrev Wang Jian:
> First, I must repeat that GNOME cvs has some problem. It is clear that
> someone else also met the same problem. who knows only fresh checkout
> works for gnome-control-center?

I think someone already explained that this is something that has to do
with cvs includes.
If you get an error with missing files no matter how many times you cvs
update, you should try deleting the module and cvs checkout it again.
Chances are that files are missing because of cvs weirdness, but a fresh
checkout will almost always solve this kind of problems.
If the file is missing also on a fresh checkout, only then you can be
sure that it's probably a bug.

> Second, when intltool 0.17 addresses the glade2 new format file issue,
> why no one metion the IMPORTANCE to apply it, because otherwise POT
> will not correct?

Simply because you should ALWAYS use the latest intltool relase if you
translate gnome, due to the nature of intltool and the problem it tries
to solve.

Intltool extracts all translatable messages from all kinds of different
source formats, not just plain C code and the other stuff gettext itself
manages to extract from. So when new formats are created and used in
gnome code, intltool has to be updated to cope with them and do the
right thing with them. And so it usually is. Thus, in order to be able
to translate all of the bleeding edge gnome code, you always have to use
the latest intltool release.

Kenneth even sends announcements of new intltool releases also to this
list, so that you don't have to be subscribed to gnome-announce to get
announcements of new intltool releases.

If you don't like to care about intltool releases, then just use the po
files from the status page(s). The status pages and the statistics and
po files on them are always generated with the latest intltool release
(thanks to Carlos).

> Last, translator should not be forced to tweak with intltool, gettext,
> msgmerge, and upgrade now and then. Why not create a system like KDE's
> kde-i18n module ?
>
> I am not rant to some specific one. I just mean, why not make the
> status page a cvs module? translator translates po, that is all, no
> more, no less.

Granted, I don't know the exact details of the kde-i18n model, but I
think you can already get most of the benefits of this by using the
gnome-i18n status pages and the po files on them. There you have all the
po files in one central place, it's updated daily, and you don't have to
care about intltool and gettext if you don't want to.

There are benefits of using the more direct way of po files in the
application modules too. It's more direct and easier to find
gettext-related bugs in the code, and it's immediate: If a developer
says "application release in two days" there is no need to wait for the
daily update of the po file and waste time; you can cvs checkout the
application module and run intltool-update immediately, and contribute
an updated translation in less than two minutes.

> "make the status page a cvs module", that is, create a module, which
> only contains pot and po. pot is updated when neccessary, and po is
> merged with new pot when necessary. status page generation will be
> very simple (anyway, the current stauge page system should have done
> these thing already. a little step ahead is enough).

Yes, I'm not sure what you are suggesting that isn't already provided by
the status pages.

> See the difference only from data size
>
> gw:~$ du -s gnome
> 618411  gnome