Re: [Usability]Re: Controls, widgets, and UI learning.

On Tue, 2002-07-30 at 15:55, Tino Meinen wrote:

> Well for one thing, "Controls" is ambiguous; i.e. it can be a noun or a
> verb. So translators have to rely on the developers or documentors to
> supply the context for the correct translation. My experience is, that
> in these cases a context is hardly ever given. The translator has to
> figure it out for himself.

I agree it would be far better if the context could be given in these
cases.  But surely if the translator is in any doubt, he or she should
be asking somebody who wrote, documented or uses the application in the
original language, rather than trying to figure it out (and sometimes
getting it wrong, if the observations other people made earlier in this
thread are correct...)?

Cheeri,
Calum.

mailto:calum.benson@ireland.sun.com    Desktop Engineering Group