Re: [Usability]Re: Controls, widgets, and UI learning.

Hello Pat,

On Mon, 29 Jul 2002, Pat Costello wrote:

> Jargon - An Informal Dictionary of Computer Terms has the following to say about
> "Widget":

> "Some PC users in a graphical user interface (using windows and icons) ... call
> the scroll box a widget."

> Notice: only the scroll box is mentioned, not any other controls, thus
> introducing a further element of doubt as to the universal applicability of the
> term "Widget" to all classes of UI controls.

That's interesting- my 'dict' has the following to report:

*** Source: Jargon File (4.3.0, 30 APR 2001) ***
widget n. 1. A meta-thing. Used to stand for a real object in didactic
   examples (especially database tutorials). Legend has it that the
   original widgets were holders for buggy whips. "But suppose the parts
   list for a widget has 52 entries...." 2. [poss. evoking `window
gadget']
   A user interface object in {X} graphical user interfaces.

I'm inclined to think that the "scrollbox" example is just that, an
example of the type of things that are called widgets in GUI context.

> set of instruments concepts is known and familiar. The argument that "Controls"
> will cause problems for translators doesn't hold water, the translation glossary
> for each language can easily sort out this issue.

I've already made clear that I know the translation argument cannot be a
deciding factor. But I **know** the use of "control" will cause
translation problems. That's just in the nature of volunteer translation
work. BTW, what translation glossaries are you talking about? I wish the
GNOME website provided standard glossaries for each supported language,
with searchable word indexes, discussions of terms, how to translate word
X in contexts P, Q and R, etc. etc.

regards,

--

Reinout van Schouwen			Artificial Intelligence student
email: reinout@cs.vu.nl			mobile phone: +31-6-44360778