Re: [Usability]Should "widget" be mentioned in the GUI? (was widgetstyle vs window decoration)

Reinout van Schouwen <reinout@cs.vu.nl> writes:

> I'll take Dutch as an example: while there is no "one best" translation
> for either "widget" or "control", I'm pretty sure that most translators
> would leave "widget" untranslated (jargon) and would translate "control"
> as if it were a verb.

In case of ambiguity message text writers can embed context into the
translatable string.  There are examples in the gettext manual:

    File: gettext.info,  Node: GUI program problems
    How to use `gettext' in GUI programs

    [...]

   To enlengthen the strings a uniform method should be used.  E.g., in
the example above the strings could be chosen as

     Menu|File
     Menu|Printer
     Menu|File|Open
     Menu|File|New
     Menu|Printer|Select
     Menu|Printer|Open
     Menu|Printer|Connect

   Now all the strings are different and if now instead of `gettext'
the following little wrapper function is used, everything works just
fine:

       char *
       sgettext (const char *msgid)
       {