Re: Language change on GNOME panel

On Wed, Feb 27, 2002 at 04:20:10PM -0300 or thereabouts, Francisco Petrucio Cavalcante Junior wrote:
> On Tue, 26 Feb 2002, Muralidhar Ganga wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> > How would I change my language on GNOME panel and all its application
> > listing ?
> >
> > I tried putting
> > export LANG=en
> > export LANGUAGE=en_US
> > in my .bashrc file. But it does not seem to changing ?
> >
> > Thanks
> > /Murali

Because I am never sure which is for login shells only and which is
not, and which of those is actually used by X, I put locale commands
into both ~/.bashrc and ~/.bash_profile to make sure :)

Also, if you are using GDM, I don't know how that fits into it all.
I think you need to restart X for whichever it file is involved to
get re-read, although I suppose you could kill the panel, do "source
.bash_profile" and re-start the panel and see what happens?

I actually set the whole system to en_GB using locale_config on
RH 7.2, and then set LC_COLLATE back to C (in both files). This
works fine for me.

> I have complaint several times...
> hope you're luckier than me :)

I have some niggles about locales in RH myself. Do you have
bug numbers for these, so I can add myself to the cc list? Or
are these in Gnome bugzilla?

Telsa