Re: timezones' beginning day of the week list

On 23 Dec 2002, Carlos [ISO-8859-1] Perelló Marín wrote:

> El lun, 23-12-2002 a las 01:40, Carlos Garnacho escribió:
> > Hi Keld,
> >
> > El dom, 22-12-2002 a las 12:33, Keld Jørn Simonsen escribió:
> > > Yes, the start of the week information is already in the glibc locales,
> > > the "week" keyword in LC_TIME. Look at
> > > http://www.dkuug.dk/JTC1/SC22/WG20/docs/n972-14652ft.pdf for a
> > > specification. I think it is better to just use the locale values
> > > instead of creating a new relation between the timezone and the first
> > > weekday, which seems to be a relation that would not always hold.
> > > Eg UTC+0000 sometimes Sunday is first weekday, sometimes it is Monday
> > > (Ireland, Faroe Islands).
> > >

> > well, that's not exactly what I wanted to say :-), In the GST's
> > time-admin tool there is a map with a bunch of cities (such as the time
> > zone configuration in evolution), my idea was to make the GtkCalendar
> > configuration show the correct settings depending on the city you have
> > selected as your nearest (this solves your problem with the timezones).
> >

> I think that is easier use the glibc information and get a list of
> cities with their "default" locale.
>
> I think that the "first day of the week" is locale specific instead of
> location specific. You have the location information (for example) with
> es_ES or es_MX, or es_AR or en_GB, etc... the "es" and "en" tells you
> the locale and the "ES", "MX", "AR" and "GB" tells you the location
> where you are.

You mean there is no en_XX that for some value of XX does not start weeks
on Mondays instead of Sundays ? I think it should be "location" and
not "locale" specific.

> Cheers.
>
> --
> Carlos Perelló Marín
> mailto:carlos@gnome-db.org
> mailto:carlos.perello@hispalinux.es
> http://www.gnome-db.org
> http://www.Hispalinux.es
> Valencia - Spain

	Sander

	Humans love to categorize and organize things. We break up time into
	hours, days and years. Everything has to have a name, a history, an
	understanding of it's origins and must be indexed somewhere on Google.