Re: the word "applet"

Christian Rose <menthos@menthos.com> writes:
> sön 2002-12-15 klockan 01.16 skrev Telsa Gwynne:
> > Do people leave them as "applet", or use whatever is already
> > used for applets in Java-land, or come up with something that
> > implies something like "small app" in the language?
>
> In the Swedish team we use the equivalent of "panel program" as the
> translation of "applet". The rationale is that the word "applet",
> although it is nowadays also present in Swedish, is hard to use and
> looks strange in plural, distinct tense and so on, and in GNOME the use
> of it isn't really the same as in the Java sense anyway.

The Danish translations use the same term ("panelprogram"). There
isn't really any good way of forming diminutive endings in Danish, and
the word "application" is completely meaningless. So it ended up as
the translation of "panel program".

In the past, it has caused some grief, though. "Applet settings"
becomes "Panelprogramindstillinger" or, rather, "Indstillinger for
panelprogram". I've often had to leave out some words of the
translations just to save space.

--
Ole Laursen
http://www.cs.auc.dk/~olau/