Re: XScreenSaver

Christian Neumair <christian-neumair@web.de> writes:

> The XScreenSaver cvs module has been broken for a while.
> When will this be fixed?

I've written a letter to Jamie Zawinski:

-------------
[...]

But my reason for sending this message is that I'm translating
xscreensaver into Danish for use with Gnome, and the copyright notices
are causing endless troubles since the "c" inside the circle in
"Copyright © 1991-2002 %s" isn't plain ASCII. AFAIK, it is assumed
that strings in the default C locale stay within the 0-127 character
range.

Anyway, I have three suggestions for correcting this:

  1. Don't i18n the copyright string. I don't think this is ideal, but
     it is at least much better than everyone having broken .po files.

  2. Simply change "Copyright © 1991-2002 %s" to "Copyright (C) 1991-2002 %s".

Yes, I know this is somewhat lame, but one way out is:

  3. Do as (2), but also add an English .po file which only contains
     the translation from "Copyright (C) ..." to "Copyright © ...".

I think (3) is the official solution to this problem - e.g. it is used
for names with non-ASCII characters in the "About Gnome" thingie. If
needed, I can help you make the .po file.

No reply yet, though.

--
Ole Laursen
http://sunsite.dk/olau/