Re: Translating pictures

 --- Reinout van Schouwen <reinout@cs.vu.nl> wrote: >
Hi,

> > And that will be the standard mechanism for doing
> > this? What about making the icon file names
> > translatable in GTK+ and ask translators to
> > replace this with their localized version, if they
> > have any?

Wouldn't a good way to localize icons/images be by
adding locale tags to them?
foo.png
foo_de.png
foo_de-CH.png
foo_RTL.png
foo_ar.png
foo_il.png

Most people would see foo, but those in most German
locales would see foo_de, except for the Swiss Germans
who would see foo_de-CH.
Most people in right-to-left locales would see foo_RTL
except people in Arabic locales who will see foo_ar
and people in Hebrew locales who will soo foo_il.

When loading an icon via a standard function, the
system would use a fairly standard best-fit-locale
fallback algorithm to find the best image.

Andrew Dunbar.

=====
http://linguaphile.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/translator.pl http://www.abisource.com