Re: Translating pictures

Kaixo!

On Tue, Aug 20, 2002 at 04:36:29PM +0430, Roozbeh Pournader wrote:

> Well, for Right-to-left languages, we somehow need to translate pictures.
> Saw that Return-like picture that appears before the OK buttons? That
> needs to be mirrored for Arabic, Hebrew and Persian. Sometimes dumb
> mirroring is enough, but some other times we may need to show a new
> picture with some parts mirrored but not the others.

In case of stock icons (eg those "next", "previous", and so on) the mirroring
should be done transparently; that is, the right stock icon should be
used depending if the interface is on LTR or RTL mode; without any need
for the programer to do anything in his program.
That is the goal of stock icons after all: make things easier.

If it's not yet done like that, it should be.

> Just a thought. Any suggestions?

For other cases, the programmer should be told about the problem;
and do something like:

if (gtk_widget_get_default_direction() == GTK_TEXT_DIR_RTL)
	/* here use the rtl icon */
else
	/* here use the default ltr icon */

--
Ki ça vos våye bén,
Pablo Saratxaga

http://chanae.stben.be/pablo/		PGP Key available, key ID: 0xD9B85466
[you can write me in Walloon, Spanish, French, English, Italian or Portuguese]

PGP signature