Re: doc-i18n-tool

Jonathan Blandford <jrb@redhat.com> writes:

> The idea here is to give the translators a .po file (which they should
> already be used to) along with the doc to do their translating with.

This idea is more than flawed :)

Documents you're talking about is linear running text; yes there are
chapter and sections and also otherwise linked text segments.  But in
general it's linear text, page 1, 2, 3,...

Thus it's logical that we want to preseve this context info and we just
have to add the "flags" or "attributes" as known from the gettext tools
collection.  Either use some advanced XML linking feature (not supported
by Emacs) or go for marked sections, a SGML feature:

<!DOCTYPE book [
<!ENTITY % orig "IGNORE">
<!ENTITY % trans "INCLUDE">
]>
<book>
<![ %orig; [
original text.

<![ %trans; [
translated text.

Then we should adjust Abiword and Emacs/psgml to support these SGML
documents properly.

I don't see the point why one wants to use the nice but somehow oscure
PO file format.

--
ke@suse.de (work) / keichwa@gmx.net (home):              |
http://www.suse.de/~ke/                                  |      ,__o