Re: gettext and utf-8 in Gnome 2

El mar, 27-11-2001 a las 16:32, Pablo Saratxaga escribió:
> Kaixo!
>
> On Tue, Nov 27, 2001 at 04:41:31PM +0200, Gediminas Paulauskas wrote:
> > In Gtk+ 2 all user-visible text is in Unicode. This includes
> > translations which come from po files. There are two ways to achieve
> > this:
> >
> > bindtextdomain (GETTEXT_PACKAGE, GNOMELOCALEDIR);
> > bind_textdomain_codeset (GETTEXT_PACKAGE, "UTF-8");  /* add this call */
>
> What does exactly that call does ? Isn't one call that does the same
> for all textdomains ?

This call tells glibc that it should encode all strings as UTF-8
althought the user had iso-8859-* codeset at his locale. This way, the
user will get always UTF-8 strings for this application.

> > or force all po files to be in utf-8.
>
> That works even if user locale is not utf-8 ?

The answer is... It's only useful if the user locales is != utf-8

> When I last tested one gtktest (or was it pangotest) package, the po files
> were all in utf-8; however, if I didn't launched the test program under
> an UTF-8 locale it didn't work correctly.

I think that the problem was that gtktest didn't called this function.