Re: [Gimp-print-devel] Please complete gimp-print translations

   From: Christian Rose <menthos@menthos.com>
   Date: Wed, 07 Nov 2001 11:10:55 +0100

   Gimp-print is ready to release soon, there's basically just one
   critical bug left. The author would really apprechiate if the no,
   da, and fr translations could be completed in time for the release.
   Gimp-print is in gnome-i18n/extra-po/gimp-print/. Thanks!

The "critical bug" is in translation, actually, so perhaps some of the
gnome-i18n people can offer suggestions.

We generate PPD files translated for each language (currently 7,
counting the default) at build time.  Unfortunately, the translation
process only works on certain systems.  It has worked on my Linux
(SuSE 7.0) system all along, but it didn't work on a lot of others.
We were using the LANG environment variable to effect the translation:

LANG=sv ./genppd --catalog=`pwd`/catalog/share/locale

or some such.  Note that we call "make install --prefix=$wherever" in
po before doing this, to create a temporary message catalog area.

It turned out that LANG only works if the build system already has an
appropriately named locale.  So we next tried using LANGUAGE in
combination with --with-included-gettext, and we include
gettext-0.10.40 (the newest GNU gettext, since LANGUAGE is a GNU
extension).  This works on every Linux system on which it has been
tried, but it fails on BSD systems.  The strace output shows that it
never attempts to open a file in the temporary catalog area.  We know
that the gettext functions are being linked in statically, and I've
even tried linking by hand to ensure (I presume) that the correct
libintl.a is linked in.

Anybody have any suggestions?  We're at our wit's end with this.

--
Robert Krawitz <rlk@alum.mit.edu>      http://www.tiac.net/users/rlk/

Member of the League for Programming Freedom -- mail lpf@uunet.uu.net
Project lead for Gimp Print/stp --  http://gimp-print.sourceforge.net