How to set locale??

Hi all:

This is a two part question and so I'll post the next one as a separate
message.

In Gnome environment, how do I set the locale so that Gnome can use a
specific language translated messages?

I though I had it down, but there is no consistancy. Is there an applet or
something in Gnome where you can say use local "de" or something like that
that will affect the current user's environment.

I used to set LANG, LC_ALL, and LANGUAGE under bash, but when I start X,
some of the variables get reset to en_US.

Thanks.

-Dinesh