language list

Hi,

Another crosspost ...

I am trying to implement a similar language list mechanism as in
gnome-libs/gnome_i18n_get_language_list(). This is about querying
LC_ALL, LC_MESSAGES and LANG in this order, in fact setlocale() does
this all for me. My problem is that although this is implemented in
gnome-libs() Linux does not seem to like language lists in these
variables. I tried to set some lists, but my setlocale() call still
returns C, although the environment variables are set to the list. I
dont know what am I doing wrong. On the other hand on Solaris setting
these variables to a language list is illegal, it can be set to one
locale only and only to one of those that are installed.

Any thoughts?

Laszlo