Re: [Nautilus-list] fonts on sidebar's tabs problem solved

Kaixo!

On Fri, Mar 23, 2001 at 12:10:31AM +0400, Vlad Harchev wrote:

> > file a bug about the "scanning fonts in locale specific encoding" issue
> > I would be grateful.  I am interested in knowing how to determine the
> > charset given a locale.  The rest is easy.

> get_locale_charset_name()
> {

> #ifdef _NL_CTYPE_CODESET_NAME
>         charset = nl_langinfo (_NL_CTYPE_CODESET_NAME);

Also note that font encoding is not necesarly the same as charset encoding
(for CJK it clearly is not the same, for 8bit encodings with glyph=char
equivalency, it is the same, but the way they are named differs, eg
a charset encoding of ISO-8859-2 uses an X11 font of encoding iso8859-2,
an encoding of CP1251 uses an X11 font microsoft-cp1251,
an encoding of TIS-620 uses an X11 font tis620.2533-1, etc.

>  But in general you may not need it - just query a font with *-* as
> registry-encoding and X will try to return the one that fits best for current
> locale.

Only if there is one that matches.
Eg "-adobe-helvetica-*" will fail in msot cases (only iso8859-1,2,9 seems to
match).

When fontsets are used, using something like:
"-adobe-helvetica-*,*-helvetica-*,*-arial-*,*-gulim-*,*-gothic-*,*"

would match a suitable font in most cases, and the last "*" will match at
least one font (maybe not very suitable as an helvetica-like, but at least
in the right encoding), if not font is matched at all that means there
isn't any font in the needed encoding; in such case there is nothing that
can be done anyway.

--
Ki ça vos våye bén,
Pablo Saratxaga