Re: XML files containing translations

On Thu, 27 Dec 2001, Daniel Veillard wrote:

> On Mon, Dec 24, 2001 at 12:22:42AM +0100, ERDI Gergo wrote:
> > [please CC replies to cactus@cactus.rulez.org]

>   NOTE !!!!! An XML entity (i.e. a single file/resource part of an XML
> document) has the ABSOLUTE requirement to be in a SINGLE ENCODING.

Yes, I know, that was what the whole fuzz at 1.8.tensomething was about,
wasn't it?

>   What you describe scales only if you accept to have everything in the
> same encoding and the english part is likely to force this to the small
> set (UTF-8, ISO-Latin-... and a few others). And UTF-8 is the only one
> which will allow to cover the full Unicode range.
>   So when you write "This is the description in Hungarian" this is actually
> "This is the description in Hungarian in UTF-8", or you expose yourself
> to tons of problems in a relatively short term.

This is a GNOME 1 app -- will this just automagically work with
xml-i18n-tools, libxml1, and GTK+?

BTW, this isn't really what my original question was about.

--
   .--= ULLA! =---------------------.   `We are not here to give users what
   \     http://cactus.rulez.org     \   they want'  -- RMS, at GUADEC 2001