Re: how to use unicode in xfree86?

Marius Andreiana <marius@wdg.ro> writes:

> I haven't started to learn yet about this, wondering now if anyone did
> it before. I'm thinking of the posibility to switch from iso8859-2
> encoding to UTF-8 and use unicode fonts. (does this apply to all
> iso8859-x encodings/fonts ?)

Good idea; as recommended by Markus Kuhn I start an xterm with a small
script called ~/bin/uxterm:

#!/bin/bash

export LANG=de_DE.UTF-8
xterm -fn '-Misc-Fixed-Medium-R-Normal--18-120-100-100-C-90-ISO10646-1' \
      -T 'xterm UTF-8' $*

> Did anyone tried to use unicode fonts, so one can see at the same time
> text in different languages?

Outside GNOME, yes (we'll have to wait for gtk2/pango).

Reading Markus Kuhn's overview you can learn a lot; just google:

    http://www.google.de/search?q=unicode+kuhn

Consider to you the linux-utf8 mailinglist!

--
ke@suse.de (work) / keichwa@gmx.net (home):              |
http://www.suse.de/~ke/                                  |      ,__o