Re: greek keyboard

On Tue, 24 Apr 2001, Spyros Dimas wrote:

> Hello!
>
> Please how can I write in Greek language in Gnome? I have installed
> RedHat Linux 7.0 and I use Gnome. Also, i have installed all available
> fonts, but when I try to run the command:
>
> setxkbmap el
> or
> setxkbmap gr
>
> I see the message :
>
> Error loading new keyboard description.
>
> In KDE I can write in greek language. Can you help me please? Thank you!

To write in Greek on GNOME, we use the XKB interface in X.
The latest CVS snapshot of XFree86 contains the "proper" settings
so that the setxkbmap command will run succesfully.
At the moment, you can follow the instructions at

http://i18n.kde.org/teams/el/kde2-mini-howto.html
(in Greek)

You obviously follow the non-KDE specific instructions.. :)

To have an indication of the current state of the keyboard
(whether you write in Greek or (Other),
you can install the GSwitchIt applet from

http://gswitchit.sourceforge.net/

Simos