Re: The translator credits.

I have found an old message, but have further thoughts about it.

Sk, Rgp 13, 2000 at 01:40:23 -0100 Carlos Perelló Marin wrote:
> Hello, i was thinking about the .po translators credits in an
> application.
>
> We don't appear as the author of the translation, only at the .po file,
> and the end user doesn't read it, then when a translation error is
> detected, what must do they?, they shouldn't know how the translation is
> done.
>

> I propose that, because the application's credits are included at the
> .po file, why don't use this message to include our credits?

Yes, we need that users know who translated the program, so it must be
included... Since it should be in every about box, why not add support for
it directly into gnome-libs/libgnomeui/gnome-about.c ? We can get
header by _("") and extract translator by simple string manipulation,
so why not do this globally?

> For example, i'm the actual spanish gedit maintainer, then at this
> notice:
>
> "
> Alex Roberts <bse@error.fsnet.co.uk>
> Evan Lawrence
> Jason Leach <leach@wam.umd.edu>
> Chema Celorio <chema@celorio.com>
>
> Artwork by :
> Steve Hall <steve_hall@mindspring.com>
> "
>
> we could put (I put it in english, but for me it will be in spanish):
>
> "
> Alex Roberts <bse@error.fsnet.co.uk>
> Evan Lawrence
> Jason Leach <leach@wam.umd.edu>
> Chema Celorio <chema@celorio.com>
>
> Artwork by :
> Steve Hall <steve_hall@mindspring.com>
>
> Translation into Spanish:
> Carlos Perelló Marin <carlos@hispalinux.es>
> "

You do not need to translate everything exactly, so feel free to add
your name to any about boxes.

--
Gediminas Paulauskas  -=-=-  http://i.am/menesis  -=-=-  ICQ 24859336