Re: Third-party sessioning requests [was Re: Session Management Proposal]

Bill Haneman wrote:

Frederic was on-the-mark here; most/all desktops currently use some mechanism for specifying 'startup programs' (outside of the existing 'sessioning' mechanism). The full-blown sessioning/save-yourself protocol of course requires client interaction, etc. but this request isn't about saving state, it's just about adding a client to the exec list.

I am saying that we need IMO a standard mechanism for doing this
(i.e. what gnome does with session-manual and KDE does with
autostart) just as we are working on a standard sessioning mechanism.

Okay so would adding $XDG_DATA_HOME/autostart and $XDG_DATA_DIRS/autostart to the DSME
be sufficient and okay with everyone? (Note those prefixes come from
http://freedesktop.org/Standards/basedir-spec)

So if something needed to be started automatically then its desktop file could be dropped into any of the above autostart directories and it would be started automatically.

We're probably going to have to standardize some new .desktop keys for triaging
load order.

--Ray