Re: Third-party sessioning requests [was Re: Session Management Proposal]

Le mer 07/01/2004 à 06:53, Ray Strode a écrit :
> Hi Bill,
>
> >One significant issue that we (GNOME Accessibility Team) have had so far is
> >the lack of a clean way to add a 'startup client' from an external app, i.e.
> >a means of requesting that a not-yet-running client be added to subsequent
> >sessions.

<snip>

> I have a feeling i'm not understanding your problem right, though. If
> that's the case, then if you could provide relevent bug numbers, a mailing
> list thread, or a specific scenario, so that I can understand the problem
> better that would be great.

Let's rephrase the problem and extend it a little more (since it is also
something useful for distros) :

the thing currently missing in gnome-session is a way to specify
applications which should be launched at startup but using a simple
drop-in directory (or something similar) before GNOME was ever started.

Here is an example :
-in MandrakeLinux, when you start GNOME, we start a program called
"MandrakeGalaxy" which display some stuff user can do (read doc, etc..).
With KDE, to get this program started automatically, you just need to
put a .desktop file in /usr/share/autostart/ and it will get started by
KDE session manager (which is something VERY package friendly).

Such behavior isn't available in current version of gnome-session, which
is forcing people to do ugly things, such as modifying
~/.gnome2/session-manual using scripts to add/remove programs.

And it is the kind of problem Bill was taking about (but only for
A11Y)..
--
Frederic Crozat <fcrozat mandrakesoft com>
Mandrakesoft