Re: Proper Web Calendar [Was: GNOME 2.7/2.8 Proposed Schedule]

On Mon, 2004-04-26 at 22:50 +1000, Jeff Waugh wrote:
> <quote who="JP Rosevear">
>
> > I'm not sure what you mean by this - you seem to be saying evolution is
> > doing the right thing but you don't want to use it?  Note that the various
> > calendars spit out by iCal for instance are broken because they use an
> > Olsen time zone name (which is also not uniquely specified) and then don't
> > include the time zone information.
>
> Every time Luis and I have done full-day items in Evo, they're timezoned,
> which is not what we want for the release calendar. It should show the same
> logical date whatever timezone you're in. That kind of thing might be too
> rare a use case for Evo though.

By definition all day events "float" i.e. have no timezone - think a
holiday or something.:

BEGIN:VEVENT
UID:20040426T131253Z-12612-100-12594-0 petrosian
DTSTAMP:20040426T131253Z
DTSTART;VALUE=DATE:20040426
DTEND;VALUE=DATE:20040427
SEQUENCE:1
SUMMARY:Test
CREATED:20040426T131254
LAST-MODIFIED:20040426T131254
END:VEVENT

If you want actually hard cut off time based on a timezone, use a time
as well as a date, i.e. midnight UTC.

-JP
--
JP Rosevear <jpr ximian com>