Re: [gnome-network]RE: Including libgnetwork in 2.5.0

<quote who="Murray Cumming Comneon com">

> > From: Rodrigo Moya [mailto:rodrigo gnome-db org] well, if we push it
> > right into the platform, we might come to having all GNOME applications
> > using this for their networking access (evolution, xchat, gnome-blog,
> > etc, etc, etc), which would be a good move.
>
> Because this seems to be a new API, I'd like it to get more usage before
> being added to the platform. However, that's only an issue for the
> Platform, not the Desktop. It might be added to the Desktop if it's needed
> by a Desktop application such as the proposed gnome-network. In the
> meantime, it doesn't need to be in the Platform for applications to use
> it.

Agree.

I would *very strongly* recommend that we *always* shift new libraries into
the Desktop (or another appropriate release set or transition module, such
as Office and libegg) before attempting to get them into the platform. We've
made mistakes like this in the past, and we ought to have learned from them.

Linus gets this right - stuff goes in when it's proven and in use.

- Jeff

  "NASCAR is not race per se. It's just a contest about who can turn left
                            the best." - Unknown