Re: Major change in desktop handling

On Thu, May 15, 2003 at 08:24:33PM +0200, Alexander Larsson wrote:

> NOTE NOTE NOTE:
> As part of this change the directory for the desktop was changed from
> ~/.gnome-desktop to ~/Desktop.

This is just wrong. I don't want random applications to mess with the
(visible part) of my home directory. It's mine and I want to have
control over it. I don't want random directories like "Desktop" to
appear in it. It doesn't fit my naming convention for things in my home
and it just doesn't belong there. It is very embarassing that I have to
delete the Desktop directory every time after I started KDE to try some
things out. To always have such a directory in my home now annoys me
seriously.

Apart from that, your changes look great.

> * With the new system its easy to remove desktop icons. I've even wired
> up delete on home and trash to disable them in gconf. However, this
> means we have to add a GUI way to get them back. So, do we want to add
> preferences for this, or disable it and force people that don't want the
> icons to use gconf-tool?

I would recommend just using a gconf key. It's a power user feature.
(Though one I would certainly use.)

 - Sebastian