RE: 2.4 Module List - zenity

On Thu, 2003-03-27 at 10:07, Murray Cumming Comneon com wrote:
> > From: Glynn Foster [mailto:glynn foster sun com]
> > > So you're suggesting zenity for the Desktop release? I
> > don't know much about
> > > it. What benefit does it provide to users?
> >
> > Hrm, I guess. Zenity is a rewrite of gdialog, where I broke the
> > compatibility with other dialogs. It's used quite often in things like
> > Nautilus scripts - a handy little utility for sysadmins too, who need
> > input while running scripts. I'd imagine that it's pretty hidden from
> > most users, since it's a commandline utility.
>
> So far it doesn't sound like much more than a language binding.
>
> A few users might like to write nautilus scripts for themselves. But surely
> anything that's useful for lots of users should be a real feature. If we are
> just talking about a tiny minority of users then I don't think it belongs in
> the Desktop.

this makes me think that it could be a good idea to offer an integrated
scripting engine, as is done in Mac OS, for instance. I don't know
exactly how this could be accomplished, but I guess making obvious to
every GNOME user that they can write nice little scripts could be a good
idea.

How is the AppleScript integration done in Mac OS ? Is it just a tool
that comes with the OS, or is it more integrated?

cheers