Re: D-BUS [Re: A desktop framework/daemon]

On Tue, 2003-07-22 at 17:16, Havoc Pennington wrote:

> > > Please make it talk via X properties, otherwise its yet another network
> > > mess we don't need and another "doesnt work through firewalls" we don't
> > > want to deal with.

> > Hmm, so what is your perspective on D-BUS? Anyone else have opinions on
> > this? It has had positive feedback from LKML, and its plans certainly align
> > well with what we need, and what people want to do...

> We can tunnel D-BUS over X if we need to, I half-implemented it at one
> point even.

Okay,

I will wait before I start with my own implementation to check if
somebody starts an implementation based on D-BUS or defines a standard
that uses the protocols designed for and by X.

Also note that I want to create this daemon/framework as platform
independent as possible. This means that Ms. Windows is also a canditate
on the list of supported platforms.

Perhaps somebody should implement something like this in a clean way.
This means that it might be a issue for freedesktop.org before anybody
even starts with that implementation.

--
Philip Van Hoof, Software Developer @ Cronos
home: me at freax dot org